Transition to School
Personal and Social Development
Encourage as much independence as possible, ie:
- To choose things for themselves/ put them away.
- Recognise their own property – bag, coat, apron etc.
- Open lunch boxes, bottles etc. themselves.
- Taking turns, sharing and playing with others
- Solve conflict amicably
- Support them in recognising the emotions of others and the effects their actions have on others.
Communication and Language Development
- Interact with your child, talking about events in their lives and encouraging them to talk about their own experiences.
- Encourage them to listen carefully to others as they share conversations.
- To follow instructions
- To play ball games
- To run, climb, slide with confidence.
- Use scissors to cut things out
- To hold a pencil
- To use a knife, fork and spoon
- Share books and stories with your child.
- Look at signs and symbols and talk about their meaning with your child when out and about
- Encourage your child to use their writing skills in a variety of ways, offering positive praise for their efforts.
- Provide a variety of paper, pencils, chalks, paint brushes with pots of water (inside and outside) etc so your child can practice drawing whatever they wish.
- To recognise their written name.
- To form lower case letters independently, initially those in their name.
- Begin to Sound out letters.
- Begin to form the initial capital letter and lower case letters in their name, independently
- Count with your child as often as possible.
- Look for numbers in the environment.
- Provide opportunities for your child to sort compare and talk about size, shape and weight. i.e cooking
- Discuss more / less than
Understanding the World
- Discuss why and how things work.
- Learn how to programme a toy and make it do what they want it to do.
- Share memories of when they were a baby and how they have grown.
Expressive Art and Design.
- Dress up, sing, dance, puppet shows
- Make and create models
- Use their imagination as they play.
- To use different resources to create pictures and models.